top of page

Phone:   08 8087 2053


If you feel unsafe call 000 immediately


Women's Domestic Violence Court Advocacy Services are locally-based, services for women and children seeking help and information about how to get protection through the court from domestic violence. 


There are 28 Women’s Domestic Violence Court Advocacy Services in the state, servicing 114 local courts.  Legal Aid NSW administers state government funding for the program.


Staff from the Far West Women's Domestic Violence Court Advocacy Service (FWWDVCAS) regularly travel to Wilcannia and Wentworth during respective court weeks.


FWWDVCAS can be found at court on the court list days which are Tuesday and Friday and will attend court on other days if requested.

Who We Are

FWWDVCAS can help you to obtain legal protection from domestic violence and help you with other needs including accessing support services (for example financial assistance and advice, housing, counselling and family law issues). We can't provide legal advice but we can refer you to solicitors.


  • Before court if you have a domestic violence matter which is going to court and you want to know what will happen, we can provide you with information and other assistance.


  • At court we will make sure you have a safe place to sit at court, give you information to help you understand what is happening and work with you to get an order that is best for your situation. FWWDVCAS will also keep you informed about the progress of your matter through the court, including future dates when you need to attend court.


  • After court FWWDVCAS can refer you to other services that can help you with things such as safe housing, income support, children's needs, family law and counselling. We can also provide you with information about what to do if the abuse continues.


FWWDVCAS has specialist workers to help Aboriginal women.

What We Do

Who We Help

FWWDVCAS assist women and children who are or have been experiencing domestic violence to obtain effective legal protection through applications for Apprehended Domestic Violence Orders (ADVOs).

What is an AVO?

An AVO is an Apprehended Violence Order. It is an order to protect victims of domestic violence when they are fearful of future violence or threats to their safety. They are sometimes called restraining orders or protection orders. There are two types of AVOs:


  • Apprehended Domestic Violence Order (ADVO): this is made where the people involved are related or have had a domestic or intimate relationship. Women’s Domestic Violence Court Advocacy Services are funded to assist women in ADVO matters.


  • Apprehended Personal Violence Order (APVO): this is made where the people involved are not related or do not have a domestic or intimate relationship, for example, they are neighbours, or where a person is being stalked or intimidated by someone.


An AVO is not a criminal charge. It is an order for your future protection. An AVO sets out restrictions on the other person’s behaviour, so that you can feel safe. If you have children, the order will also protect them.

There are two ways you can apply for an AVO. You can apply yourself – this is called a private application, or the police can make an application on your behalf. FWWDVCAS can provide information about how to make an application yourself. If you wish to make a private application, you can do this through your Local Court or through your lawyer. If you do not have a lawyer, the Women’s Domestic Violence Court Advocacy Service will arrange legal advice for you. Some Women’s Domestic Violence Court Advocacy Services work with lawyers who give free legal advice and can represent you.


The Service will help by explaining what will happen in court. They will work with police or your lawyer to make sure the AVO suits your situation. If your partner has been charged, FWWDVCAS can also assist you with information and support while the charges are dealt with.

How do I apply for an AVO?

If you have been the victim of a violent crime you may be eligible for support and compensation under the Victims Compensation scheme.  You may be able to access free counselling, reimbursement for any money or property you have lost, and a recognition payment for the trauma you have suffered.


Recently there have been major changes to the Victims Compensation scheme in NSW.  Click HERE to find out more about the changes what services you may be eligible for, and how to apply.

Have you been the victim of a violent crime?

Assisting women & children in the Far West to obtain effective legal protection from domestic violence

|  Funded by Legal Aid NSW |

bottom of page